Hotel Room vs. Vacation Rental (VRBO) when Staying on Catalina Island
Catalina Island, California
HOTEL PROS AND CONS
- WHERE WE STAYED: Catalina Island Inn Click to check out their website (: it was a one bedroom ocean view king suite, perfect for couples!
- PROS: Beautiful view of the ocean, balcony with table and chairs, very clean, very quiet, bathroom amenities were amazing! The location is prime, it’s directly in the heart of Catalina and is walking distance to anything and everything. There’s also a store right next door in case you need any last minute food, snacks, drinks, or toiletries.
- CONS: No elevators, and i mean none, we booked a room on the 4th floor and man did we get a workout! No kitchen or kitchenette, only a small fridge. But if you don’t plan on cooking its perfect!
VRBO PROS AND CONS
- WHERE WE STAYED: Rimas’s Vacation Rental in hamilton cove, via VRBO, you can go to their website or download to VRBO app. Hamilton Cove is a private, gated and security patrolled area. You can walk there although it’s much quicker in a golf cart. If you go to Descanso beach club, you just keep following the road past that until you hit the security entrance for hamilton Cove. We stayed in an ocean view one bedroom condo that included: living room, apple TV, dinning room, fully equipped kitchen, king bedroom, very spacious bathroom and closet area, the most beautiful view and balcony that had a table, chairs, and bbq, one golf cart for transportation around the island, putting green clubs, tennis rackets and balls, snorkel gear, beach towels and much more. Not to mention all of the Hamilton Cove condominiums have access to the gated areas pool, jacuzzi, private beach, tennis courts, and putting green.
- PROS: The number one pro is the comfort of staying in a home-like setting verses a hotel room. Having a fully equipped kitchen is also a major pro, we are big fans of cooking in while on vacation (also a big money saver). The golf cart was so much fun! It was battery operated so we didn’t have to worry about gas, we were able to travel all around the island, and it was definitely a money saver considering it was included in our rental where the golf cart rental companies on the island charge anywhere from $40-80 an hour. And the convenience of walking out to the pool, or the private beach was also very nice.
- CONS: Although the first one that comes to mind wasn’t necessarily a con for us, it could be for others. The golf cart is included in your stay, however the driver must be at least age 25 and have proof of a drivers license and insurance. Another thing that wasn’t ideal was the balconies are not private, they try to make them as private as possible but at the end of the day they are not.
- VIDEO: Our video below features the beautiful vacation rental we had a the pleasure of staying at, as well as all of the fun that took place around the island. Please like share and subscribe!
Check out our latest trip to Catalina Island —>
LIFT DUO “the adventure never stops…”